Saturday, August 12, 2017

Angels Everywhere

an·gel
ˈānjəl/
noun
  1. 1. 
    a spiritual being believed to act as an attendant, agent, or messenger of God, conventionally represented in human form with wings and a long robe.

    "God sent an angel to talk to Gideon"
  2. 2. 
    a person of exemplary conduct or virtue.

There are angels everywhere. We pass them everyday and sadly, for the most part they go completely unnoticed and unappreciated until you really need them. If you are reading this, you have been one of our angels. You have prayed for us, thought of us while you went about your daily routine, mailed us cards, sent us messages, cooked for us and called to simply say "Hi!" Each of you have helped provide us strength, energy and given us comfort during this journey and we will forever be grateful for that. You have all inspired Kyle and I to be better, to give more and to go the extra step. I want to take a minute and tell you about two particular angels.

After we left the hospital and Kyle went home, Henley and I were left to make the most out of being left in Minneapolis. We didn't come to the cities with all our "baby stuff" from home, so I decided to look online for a few creature comforts. Our friend Cassandra from Iowa had brought us a co-sleeper and a ring sling to use. I thought if I could find a stroller and maybe a baby swing of some sort to use I would be set.

Since birth Henley has really disliked being anywhere other than my arms. That meant she wasn't thrilled about our baby swing, but when we were at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis we had the opportunity to use a Mammaroo. She wasn't in love with it, but she was far more content in it than anything else we had tried.

There were a number of them for sale on Facebook marketplace, but the average price for them was around $150, used. I found one nearby and sent the seller a message, making him an offer. A few minutes later he messaged me back and said he and his wife read Henley's story and wanted to give it to us. I was speechless. I didn't know what to say. Shortly after that, I received a message from his wife, full of love and support and asking what other baby items Henley needed and what personal items I might need. When we met that evening to make the exchange, not only had they brought the mammaroo, but they also brought a bag full of items they had just bought for Henley. Some baby books, toys and fuzzy blanket. I was in tears. I didn't know how to accept such generosity. We sat and visited for awhile and just talked about normal things. It was so refreshing.

A week later they invited me over for supper and while Ben cooked, Nicole and I went for a walk with our babies. The conversation and great laughs made me feel like we had all been friends for years.

By now you're probably thinking - Wow! What special people, to go above and beyond for a complete stranger...  but I'm not done yet. Nicole saw a picture I posted on Facebook of Henley and I. I truly looked like a new, tired but elated "fresh" mom. I said I loved the picture regardless of how I looked, because it was likely the only non-selfie, mommy and me picture I have of Henley and I. So what did Nicole do? She shared our story with another set of angels and a week later a special photo shoot and priceless photos were gifted to us.

God has heard our prayers and He has sent us angels. Each of you have arrived at just the moment we needed you. You have each inspired us, lifted our spirits, lightened our load, nourished us and brightened our day. He has also given us time. Time to meditate about our lives, what we are doing or not doing and think about who we want to be and how we can use the gifts he has given us. With His help, our tiny Henley is taking us on a journey to be difference makers. Thank you for being a difference maker in our life.